Do NOT Poison Your Girl’s Cat With These Flowers on V-Day
The absolute worst way to declare your love for your girl would be to poison her furry friend on Valentine's Day. I stumbled across this today and I know that my curious kitty eats just about anything he comes into contact with...electric cords, dowel rods, my dinner and yes any flowers that I may have in my apartment. If your girl or anyone you know has a cat do NOT get these flowers for them for Valentine's Day!
Lilies! They're one of my favorite flowers but according to the Pet Poison Helpline, they are EXTREMELY poisonous to cats. Plants in this family include the Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter or Japanese Show Lily and they lead to severe acute kidney failure in house cats. Every part of the plant is poisonous, including the pollen so simply putting them out of the cat's reach doesn't mean that the problem is solved. If he does get a hold of the plant, 1-2 leaves is enough to kill your cat. Some signs that your cat may have been poisoned include vomiting, not being hungry, lethargy, dehydration, not urinating, urinating too frequently, walking drunk, disorientation and in some cases seizures. There's no antidote for lily poisoning so you need to get that little guy (or girl) to the vet as soon as possible to get them on IV fluid therapy.
That said, Peace, Peruvian and Calla lilies don't cause deadly kidney failure, but they could cause kitty's mouth, tongue and esophagus to get aggravated causing them to drool a little more than normal.
Just a heads up for my fellow cat lovers!