Top Five Ways To Save On Air Conditioning This Summer
It's a hot hot summer in the Treasure Valley, and there's no sign of the heat letting up.
Here's five simple ways to keep your place cool and save some money in the process:
- Make sure you clean the filter in your air conditioner once a year. If you don't, it's costing you more money to run the unit for no reason.
- Use every fan you have. Their cheap to run, and can circulate cold air throughout your home. Also, make sure they're turning counter-clockwise in the summer.
- Don't put furniture over air vents. On that tip, make sure the sun isn't shining on your thermostat. It'll make your A/C continue to run even when it isn't necessary,
- If you don't use a particular room, don't cool it! Keep the door shut, and also close off any air vents in the room.
- Keep your blinds and curtains closed as much as possibly. Your A/C has to work significantly harder if the sun is cooking your house from the outside in.
If you don't have air conditioning and need a cool place to stay, there's a free cooling station on South Ash Street right here in Boise.