What is the REAL Idaho ID and Why You Need It
Have you heard about the new Star ID Card? Here's what it is and why you need it!
What is a REAL ID (aka Star Card):
- According to ITD.Idaho.gov, In 2005, Congress passed the REAL ID Act which would “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses. [...] The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards."
What's the difference between a REAL ID and your current ID:
- The main difference will be access. Both IDs will "allow you to legally drive and prove your identity for tasks like buying alcohol, obtaining social services, banking services or registering to vote."
- However, "Starting Oct. 1, 2020, a Star Card lets you fly commercially or enter a federal building, national laboratory, or military base. At that time, you will not be able to do either with an Idaho driver’s license or ID card without the Star.Those with the new Star Card will be able to fly commercially".
Is it mandatory?
- Nope! These REAL ID cards are totally optional. But, just keep in mind that if you do not have a Star Card and you're in the airport, you'll need a passport or supporting documents to get through security.
Are there any additional tests for a Star Card?:
- Nope! The issuing of a Star Card does not affect "anything related to driving tests or abilities. It is focused only on identity security and verification."
Idaho will start issuing these new REAL IDs or "Star Cards" in early 2018 if you wish to opt in.
CLICK HERE for ALL the information on the Star Card!