Stay In Touch With Ex’s Family. Yes or No?
We were asking a question while the entire KISS staff was sitting around near the studio and Mateo starts texting his ex-girlfriend's mom. Wait...what? He and his ex's mom keep in touch on the regular. Is this okay to do?
I don't know that I've kept in touch with any family members of my past relationships. I'm trying to think if anyone has slipped through the cracks and I can't come up with anyone. Once I'm done with a relationship, I move forward completely. However, I've talked with my fiance and I know that if we ever decided to end our relationship I'd still be friends with her mom and sister. Sorry, they're rad and I love them.
She knows this.
Just as you end a relationship, Bustle walks you through the steps to take when you're either ending your connection with your, now, ex's family or deciding to continue with said relationship. Either way, you're going to need a plan.
- Talk to your ex first. This is where you decide whether or not it's worth keeping in touch with the fam. If your ex isn't cool with it, you need to chill.
- Have your ex talk with their family. Let your ex tell the story before you get to them. Remember, they have a choice of whether or not they want to stay in touch with you.
- Set boundaries. Is this casual or are you and your ex going to be drinking around the Christmas tree with their new love?
- Be respectful. They may get weird or even not want to hear about a new relationship. In most cases, remember that they will choose your ex (their family) over you every time.
- Know when to step back. Your ex will likely find someone new. Start moving in another direction when that time comes. Don't make it weird for the new person and the family you love so much.
- Think about it from their perspective. This goes without saying.