Police Confirm 911 Caller Is Not Idaho Homicide Suspect in Update
It has been a tragedy that has "shaken the community", as Moscow Police Department's Chef Fry shared this afternoon. The death and gruesome homicide of four University of Idaho students is still under investigation and the spotlight on this case from around the globe as only grown stronger.
In their second press conference since the news broke, local authorities stressed that they are pursuing justice and this may time some time to solve.
While no new information was released today--authorities wanted what is known to be factual to be shared:
- Thus far, there have been 646 tips
- Over 90 interviews have taken place
- Idaho State Police, Latah County Sheriff's Office, the FBI, and Moscow Police are all involved
And as for the series of events:
- On the evening of November 12th, two of the students were at a local bar, followed by a food truck and then home by 1:45 a.m.
- The other two students were at a house party, but arrived home at about the same time
- The two surviving roommates were also out that night--arriving home at about 1:00 a.m. and did not wake up until later that morning.
- The 9-1-1 call originated from inside of the home and was made using the phone of one of those surviving roommates
- Two deceased students were found on the second floor-- the other two, on the third floor.
- There are NO signs of sexual assault
- Detectives continue to search for and through local surveillance footage and are canvassing neighborhoods
Director of the Idaho State Police, Kedrick Wills, asked for the community to please stop with the rumors and speculation and to only work with that information which is being released by police. All of the authorities are aware that social media and internet forums are a wildfire of misinformation at this time.
Police made clear that the following people are NOT involved in the crime:
- The hooded man seen in food truck footage
- The driver that took two students home that night
- The surviving roommates
It is important to note that the identity of the 9-1-1 caller has not been released, nor has the call audio.
The following questions were asked of & answered by Chief Fry of the Moscow Police Department
"Why you do believe these killings were targeted?"
Because of the totality of factors and we still believe that.
"Do you have the resources needed to investigate this case?"
We do, there has been an incredible outpouring from the FBI & ISP
"Was the killer the 911 caller?
I will tell you, no
"What about the male that the girls called several times before the end of the night?"
We believe there was no connection there
"Can you conclusively rule out 9-1-1 caller?"
While this was never directly answered--it was because the Chief of Police implied the caller may not have been a resident of the home but rather used a resident of the home's phone.
"What community is the killer in?
Cannot say but they're interviewing folks from all over
"Which students were on which floor of the home?"
Those are key pieces that will come in later in the investigation, so authorities are not sharing those details at this time.
These 20 Crimes Are Still Unsolved in Boise
8 People Are Currently Missing in Idaho, Have You Seen Them?
Here's What The Community Thinks Is Missing From The Boise Area