The School Shooting Post I Should Have Written a Long Time Ago
We have another school shooting and it feels as if I could script out what's gonna happen next. So 💔to see more senseless deaths as a Florida teen wrecks havoc at Stoneman Douglas High School murdering 17 people. Why?
The tragedy will be quickly followed by anger because this shouldn't be acceptable to any of us. How much longer will our society stand for this tragedy? Can it be prevented? What can you do? When will it hit home?
I've shut my mouth on so many of these tragedies and let the people talk. I'm tired of being quiet to protect my image or my "brand". What kind of hypocrite would I become if I just turned away? Will I feel the same way when it infects our community?
I was writing today on Instagram and Facebook with a simple question.
One day in the distant future, there will be a history lesson in a classroom filled with students. The discussion will be Mass Shootings, a topic that will span a week because of the number of senseless deaths that occured. Someone will raise their hand and ask, 'I don't understand, why didn't they do anything to prevent the shootings?
The teacher will sit on the side of their desk and look around at the students as they pause to reflect.....I wonder what that teacher will say? You know history is judging us right now because it never forgets. It's not up to the next generation. Life is up to THIS generation. It's our responsibility. Right now. Today.
I look around to our community and what are we doing? How are WE preventing this from Idaho? Somebody needs to speak up and I guess it's gonna be me. I'm so limited on what I can say because 103.5 Kissfm isn't about me. That's where I struggle because this radio station is a fabric of the community and it's alive. We can sit and pretend like nothing happened but I can give you 17 reasons why we HAVE to say something now:
- Alyssa Alhadeff, 14
- Scott Beigel, 35 (killed while trying to save students)
- Martin Duque Anguianao, 14
- Nicholas Dworet, 17
- Aaron Feis, 37 (killed while protecting his students.)
- Jaime Guttenberg, 14
- Chris Hixon, 49 (survived his service in Iraq to be gunned down on U.S. soil at Parkland)
- Luke Hoyer, 15
- Cara Loughran, 14
- Gina Montalto, 14
- Joaquin Oliver, 17 (moved here at age 3 and was so excited he became official naturalized citizen in January 2017.)
- Alaina Petty, 14
- Meadow Pollack, 18
- Helena Ramsay, 17
- Alex Schachter, 14
- Carmen Schentrup, 16
- Peter Wang, 15
Who else? That's right, the babies who lost their lives at Sandy Hook Elementary
- Noah Pozner, 6
- Charlotte Bacon, 6
- Jack Pinto, 6 (loved baseball, basketball, wrestling and would of probably loved watching the Winter Olympics)
- Olivia Engel, 6 (her favorite stuffed animal was a lamb)
- Dylan Hockley, 6
- Catherine Hubbard, 6
- Avielle Richman, 6 (loved riding horses)
- Anne Marie Murphy, 52 was found dead covering more children in an attempt to shield them from gunfire. They all died.
- Jessica Rekos, 6
- Victoria Soto dreamed of being a teacher since she was 3.
- Lauren Rousseau, 30 was a permanent substitute teacher.
- James Mattioli, 6
- Josephine Gay was 7
- Rachel D'Avino, 29 (they said she probably didn't know when she died. Her best friend was about to propose.)
- Caroline Previdi was just 6
- Benjamin Wheeler was only 6 and his parents moved him to Newtown for a quiet place to grow up. I can only imagine the burden they have placed upon themselves.
- Chase Kowaslki, 6
- Ana Marquez-Greene
- Mary Sherlach, 56 was the school's counselor and died shortly after seeking out the what was happening.
- Daniel Barden, 7
- Dawn Lafferty Hochsprung, 47 (school's principal)
- Grace McDonnell, 7 (I've always thought the name Grace was so beautiful)
- Emilie Parker, 6
- Madeleine Hsu, 6
- Allison Wyatt, 6
- Nacy Lanza
I thought for sure once the kids at Sandy Hook Elementary were gunned down that America would rise up. We did nothing. We cried. We cried more. We cried even more. It seems those tears haven't prevented shit.
There is hope when some of my own role models say something.
I've noticed when I post something regarding the school shootings people kind of want to stay away. Enough. We need to say something and I think the talking is over. We need to SCREAM! I'm ready to place my vote on the ballot of the person who is willing to stake everything on humanity - not party. I was moved to tears for the millionth time last night watching how these poor kids died and I just got so pissed. Should I run for an office of some kind to make a difference? Let me tell you something, I WOULD WIN. Stick a 📌in that for a second senator or governor to be. This isn't about politics and it's time that we screamed from Table Rock to Caldwell. It's time we make it know in our tweets, posts, snaps and everywhere we reside.
A very kind police officer gave me some advice for abused victims,
Tell. Tell. Tell. Tell 20 people until you reach that 21st person who listens. Somebody will listen. You tell them Keke to tell until someone listens!
I've never forgotten that and what valuable advice it is. So, who's listening? Where are you? Change begins when we get fed up. Tired. Exhausted. Done.
I'm not sitting back anymore and watching Washington argue to argue. Would we let our own kids do that? It's their responsibility to work for us and if they can't figure out how - they gotta go! We have the power - not them. WE pay THEM. Let's find someone and make a statement. You don't need to get political and I don't have the answers but someone does. I pray for all of us that you come forward.
If this comes across any politicians desk and you take the time to read it - I just gave you 42 reason why it should mean something to you. I could keep going if you'd like. Those 42 people all have families and friends. The destruction is endless and that's just two schools.
Where is Jim Risch, Mike Crapo, Raul R Labrador, Butch Otter, Mayor Tammy and the rest? Didn't even see a post from any of you. I'm SCREAMING to all the voters in Idaho to pay close attention to what our own politicians do and how they make their moves. THOSE people are on notice as of today and each one of them is replaceable by filling out one ballot. Recognize your power at the ballot box this time.
Will our next leader please stand up. 🎤💧