The Basque Center Hosts San Inazio Festival This Weekend
I'm finally on time with the massive Basque event that I always seem to miss. The Basque Center will be hosting the San Inazio Festival beginning Friday, July 27 through the weekend.
The San Inazio Festival is held annually to honor St. Ignatius of Loyola, the patron saint of the Basques. That means great Basque foods, drinks, and entertainment for the community.
This large Basque Festival comes every July and brings out thousands. It's funny I was just at the grand opening of the new Albertsons on Broadway. They made it a point to emphasize their large Basque food section under the local section (they were pretty proud of that.)
This year's event will begin with a "Friends and Family" night on Friday. The Basque Center is encouraging people to bring out their favorite pintxo (appetizer) to share. People travel from all over to attend and this night definitely gives you that family feeling. I've been several times and it's like being at someone's house on a holiday but you don't know anybody.
Side note: The Leku Ona Hotel is one of my favorite spots to stay when hosting big events downtown. Why? $65 dollars across from all the bars and no drinking/driving to worry about. If you're ever downtown Boise it's worth a tour. Very cool, simple, old feeling layout. Plus, there is a bar downstairs.
The Boiseko Gazteak, Boise's youngest Basque Dancers from ages 3 to 14 entertain the crowd beginning at 11 a.m. This is an all day event and I'll list the full schedule below. Be prepared for some closed street and small downtown traffic. It will be worth it though! See you this weekend.
- 11 a.m. - 11:45 a.m. Local Basque Musicians
- 12 p.m. - 1 p.m. Boiseko Gazteak Basque Dancers
- 1:15 p.m. - 1:45 p.m. Txantxangorriak Basque Musicians
- 2 p.m. - 3 p.m. Oinkari Basque Dancers
- 6:30 p.m. Procession
- 7 p.m. San Inazio Catholic Mass at St. John's Cathedral - Music by the Biotzetik Basque Choir, Liturgical dance by Boise Oñati Dantza Taldea
- 7:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Txantxangorriak Basque Musicians
- 8:15 p.m. - 11 p.m. Street dance on the Basque Block with Errebal
Get more details from The Basque Center Facebook page. Can't get enough Basque? Check out the Elko Basque Festival.