‘Healthy’ New Year Resolutions Simplified
- Don’t smoke (2).
- Get vaccinated (4).
- Avoid trans fats (7).
- Replace saturated fats with unsaturated if you can (15).
- Cook from whole ingredients—and minimize restaurant meals (23).
- Minimize ultra-processed foods (26).
- Cultivate relationships (28).
- Nurture sleep (30).
- Drink alcohol, at most, moderately (35).
- Exercise as often as you can enjoy (42).
- Drink only the calories you love (48).
Based on even these simple 48 words, I know already that I'm not living the most healthy lifestyle that I possibly could. While I'm excelling in some categories listed, like never have smoked, I'm vaccinated, I try to avoid processed foods, I'm definitely failing in others. I one hundred percent need to nurture my sleep way more. Right now I'm running on E as I flew into Boise late last night, had to unpack and shower and then wake up maybe two hours later to come into work. Sleep is something I definitely need to make more of a priority.
I think I could also cut down on my alcohol intake. I don't drink a lot normally, but the holidays really set you back. You're constantly at a party, a function, an event, and there's always drinking involved. My plan is a sober January this month! Wish me luck.
Are you exceeding your expectations in some areas and falling short in others? Reevaluate and start fresh! 2020 is a whole new year and you can set yourself up for success or failure all based on your choices. The ones above are a good starting point.